Help? x0xi0 x0xb0x problemen

Dubluv

Ouwe rot
Hey fellas,

Jaartje geleden begonnen aan een de bouw van een x0xi0 x0xb0x van Brian Castro maar onlangs vastgelopen op het testen van de vco en vcf. Op pagina 81 gestrand van deze manual (bovenste link!).

Heeft iemand ervaring of hulp voor ons? Een goede vriend van mij is bezig met het in mekaar steken van deze kit. Ik heb namelijk geen kennis van elektronica... :stupid

De mails van Brian en Jef (gefilterd :P) :

Hi Brian,

I’m having trouble with the testing (Mainboard).
Page 81 of the building manual shows me the signals i should get at pin 2 & 3, and I get two signals that look like the examples, but the frequency is really really low (period between 10-17 sec!).
I noticed that when I touch pad 11, the frequency rises rapidly.
The piek voltage of the signals is:
pin 2: 290 mV
pin 3: 1.2 V

I should also be able to see a resonance output at pin 3 of the VR4, but I’m not measuring any voltage there..

Do you have any idea what’s wrong, or how I can find the error or broken component?

I really appreciate your help!

Greetings,
Jef

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jef,

1) Page 81. These are the VCO 1 waveforms that will go to the x0xi0 top pcb once it's placed on top and all the pinheads are soldered.
I believe there is an error in the build manual that someone found recently. The 3v CV should be applied to pad 7 on the mainboard, not pad 27. In this case the cv goes straight to control input of VCO1. I've attached the schematics for the x0xb0x boards and the x0xi0 in case you want to refer to them. With 3v applied to pad 7 the waveforms should be something around 130Hz with master tune control centered (VCO is not calibrated yet so it really could be anything from 80Hz to 200Hz).

2) Page 82. VCF testing. I think once the VCO frequency is correct you may be able to see the resonance/ringing on the waveform now. If not let me know and I'll give more steps to test the filter.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

With 3V applied to pad 7, I’m only measuring a DC voltage at pin 2 & 3 (2=0.65V, 3=0.13V).
Should the power supply be connected during this testing phase?
With the power supply connected I'm measuring 4.9VDC at pad 2 and 3.9VDC at pad 3.

Could it be that IC15B is damaged, and this is causing the error? Becouse at first I soldered this componend at the place of IC15A, so I had to heat it up again to place it at the right spot. Mayby I heated too long?

The power supply is working perfectly.

Greetings,
Jef

Mails gaan nogal traag (klein halfjaar ligt het project nu al stil) en daarom hadden we gedacht de hulp van iemand van jullie in te schakelen. :okdan:

Alvast heel erg bedankt! :halleluja

Dear Jef.
Hello.
Maybe I have similar problem at x0xi0 main board (rev 2.0) VCO1.
When I provided 12v to IC11-Pin8, I could see square & saw wave via Pad 2&3.
So I'm suspecting 12v routing.
I found a dead end trace without a through hole on component side of Main board, left side of IC11-pin8.
Your main board has a through hole on that trace?
I'm waiting for answer about it from Brian.

regards

Als je er toch graag een hebt mijne staat fully assembled te koop in te koop en te ruil aangeboden :okdan:

Dear Jef.
Hello.
Maybe I have similar problem at x0xi0 main board (rev 2.0) VCO1.
When I provided 12v to IC11-Pin8, I could see square & saw wave via Pad 2&3.
So I'm suspecting 12v routing.
I found a dead end trace without a through hole on component side of Main board, left side of IC11-pin8.
Your main board has a through hole on that trace?
I'm waiting for answer about it from Brian.

regards

Hi,
I checked and you are right, there is a trace on the left of IC11 but it isn't leading to something and there is no via. On the other side of the main-board you can see the trace to witch it should be connected (also dead-end).
Let me know when you get any response of Brian!

Greetings,
Jef

Hi Jef.
Thank you for reply.
Still I'm waiting for his answer.
I want to get solution for this problem.

cheers

Mail van Brian:

Hi Jef,

ok about your problem, I think I know what the problem is, and it's not your build. It's a missing via in the tooling of the latest run of x0xb0x mainboards. You may have received one of the first ones from the latest batch. There's only a half dozen of these out there and I just found a problem about two weeks ago while building one up myself. See the picture attached. Pin 8 of IC11 is the positive supply to the op amp. On the latest run of mainboards there's a via missing, you can see that trace coming from pin 8 just goes nowhere and ends! If you were to look on the other side of the board it becomes more apparent that there's supposed to be a via there connecting the two sides! If this is the case on your kit, and the via is missing you need to connect pin 8 to pad 9 with a wire as shown.

Let me know if this is it, and apologies for the error if this is indeed the case. I feel terrible not inspecting and catching the mistake.

Brian.

Vanaf 22ste word er verder gewerkt. Dus dan zal ik posten of dit idd het probleem oplost :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dubluv Ff email adres onleesbaar maken of hij wordt overspoelt door spam!

Bericht door een moderator:
Done

Hello Jef.
Today, I got same answer from Brian.
Hope we can complete it soon.

cheers

Back