Steiner Synthasystem pcb run

sms303

WHAT UR WATCHIN'?!?!
Steiner Synthasystem:

As an introduction, I have secured all the original Steiner Synthasystem schematics from the "master", Nyle Steiner, himself. With a lot of help from Nyle, I am getting close to offering his original modules at the least as PCBs for sale. I have also created Euro panels which should be easily adaptable to Frac, for them.

I will eventually have every module Nyle had in his original Synthasystem. Having him so involved has been great. We were exchanging emails late last night, about 3 or 4 am, and he was saying he now basically has a mini system going, sequencer, VCO, VCA, and EG.

Right now, we have built and tested:
VCO, The Synthasystem Type “A” with four waveform outputs
VCA/Mixer
Voltage Sequencer 3X8 or 1X16 and 1X8
ENVDL #1/#2 This stands for Envelope Generator Duration Level . These are two of three EG’s in the triple envelope generator. The third, which will go to prototype PCB order this week is a type ENVDT which stands for Envelope Generator Duration Time. Instead of picking the hold level, you control the hold time.

I will eventually offer:
1. VCO type “A”. The Synthasystem also had a type “B” and “C” which were scaled back version of the type “A”. Since the Type “A” does it all, I don’t think I’ll re-issue the others unless there is some demand)
2. VCA/Mixer
3. VCF (the “real” original Steiner version. There is a difference in how Nyle did the resonance as compared to how those doing tribute filters typically do it)
4. Four different EGs.
a. ENVDL #1 – Duration Level
b. ENVDL #2 – Duration Level with a switch which converts the attack time to a delay time
c. ENVDT – Instead of duration level control, it controls the duration time. It also has a switch to convert the attack time to an initial delay time
d. ENVVD
One will be the Triple Envelope Generator which combines #1, #2, and #3 above. It’s the one which was in the Synthasystem. The fourth is one I don’t think Nyle ever released, but I’m going to. It has a variable damping. I haven’t built it or seen documentation other than a schematic I found digging through Nyle’s archives so I’m not sure what it’s controls really do. The end user can build these all separately if they want to.
5. Voltage Sequencer
6. Frequency Divider
7. Two voice keyboard
8. “Multiphonic” Keyboard (very cool controller)
9. Noise generator
10. Peak Selector
11. Phaser
12. Ring Modulator (Nyle is toying with the idea of changing this from using the MC1495 chip to discrete components based on his VCA design)
13. Sample and Hold
14. Selective Inverter (honestly, I haven’t quite figured this one out yet. Nyle tried to explain it to me but I didn’t quite get it.)
15. Tuner/Monitor
16. Input Pre-amp
17. Voltage Controlled Trigger Generator
18. Voltage Follower (basically a slew rate limiter or portamento)
19. Voltage Processor (generates different combinations of normal and inverted outputs of an input signal)
20. Power Supply panel/distribution.
21. Trigger converter. This is not a Steiner design, but something people will need to use these in modern modulars. The Steiner modules uses S-Triggers like Moog. This is a daughter board or a separate module to convert between S-Triggers and Voltage triggers. For example, you can piggyback one of these to an EG PCB so that you can seamlessly use voltage triggers on the front panels.

I'd like to know in general how many of you would be interested in any of these.
I think PCBs for the core modules, VCO, VCA, triple EG, VCF, and sequencer will be ready to go this fall.

Bron: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20372
Op Muff Wiggler loopt een poll om de intresse te inventariseren.
Of er slechts pcb's of kant en klare kits worden aangeboden moeten we even afwachten.

Edit:
dingebre schreef:
cerebrosis schreef:
Nice! are these 3u in size?
The PCBs will fit behind Euro/Frac panels. The panels I'm designing for them are standard euro rack panels which can be adapted to Frac if wanted.
David

Laatst gewijzigd:
DROOMMODUS aan:
2x VCO
2x VCA/Mixer
2x VCF
1x Four different EGs. (ENVDL, ENVDL #2, ENVDT, ENVVD)
2x Frequency Divider
1x Noise generator
2x Peak Selector
1x Phaser
1x Ring Modulator
1x Sample and Hold
1x Selective Inverter
2x Input Pre-amp
1x Voltage Controlled Trigger Generator
2x Voltage Follower
2x Voltage Processor
3x Trigger converter (als het systeem geen 1V/oct is)

Ehhhhh dat wordt een extra krantenwijkie, wekelijks bij mn oma langsgaan en dagelijks om meer zakgeld bietsen. Plan b: om de zoveel maanden een pcb'tje en panel bestellen geeft minder stress :D

3x Trigger converter (als het systeem geen 1V/oct is)
Systeem is wel 1V/Oct. De Gates / Triggers zijn alleen anders dan 'normaal'. Gate-aan is laag signaal (0V) en Gate-uit is hoog signaal (bijv. 10V). Das hetzelfde als in oude Moog apparaten, maar anders dan in de huidige modulaire synths.

Systeem is wel 1V/Oct. De Gates / Triggers zijn alleen anders dan 'normaal'. Gate-aan is laag signaal (0V) en Gate-uit is hoog signaal (bijv. 10V). Das hetzelfde als in oude Moog apparaten, maar anders dan in de huidige modulaire synths.

Hetgeen niet zo moeilijk te fiksen is met wat inverting schmitt triggers, toch?

Hetgeen niet zo moeilijk te fiksen is met wat inverting schmitt triggers, toch?
Klopt. Alleen heb je dan een net wat andere range, en moet je weer wat aanpassen om het op normaal synth niveau te krijgen (10V gates in mijn synth, sommigen zijn 5V dacht ik. Doepfer misschien?)
Zoals ik het begreep van het weblog zijn deze bordjes daar dus voor bedoelt, om met een simpel circuitje het om te gooien. :okdan:

hmmm, ik gebruik voor gate/trigger inputs altijd opamp comparators a la CGS. met een positieve puls van meer dan 2V of zo ben je er dan al wel. Die dingen triggeren op zowat alles. Volgens mij geeft een cd40106 gevoed van 0-12V gewoon een keurige dikke 12-0V output, maar goed volgende week moet ik een dergelijk iets bouwen voor mijn DR-110 module (in wording) en dan zal ik eea gelijk eens meten.

Fotoooooooootje :)

synthasystem_128.jpg

Back