bye bye Chameleon mkII ???

nen belg

Stamgast
Deze morgen heb ik de volgende mail ontvangen van soundart

Hi <nen belg>,

First of all, thank you so much for your patience and trust in the Soundart Chameleon mkII project.

Also, please accept my most sincere apologies for the delay in sending you some news about the Chameleon mkII.

Unfortunately, the news are not very good.

After deep consideration and nearly 500 Chameleon units in use around the world, we have decided that we can not afford the financial risk that would be involved in going ahead with the Chameleon mkII project. Amongst the several factors that pushed us to make this tough decission there is the number of pre-orders received, the evident need to add several key features to guarantee some possibilities of commercial success (that would require additional development time) and the limited resources available.

On the other hand we realize that, during the past months, our motivations to continue the project were more personal and coming from our hearts than business driven. After all, the Chameleon has been like our child, of which we are very proud as a concept and as an achievement. However, we have to admit that the current general market trends clearly indicate that we are pursuing the wrong way, although we still are definitely convinced that the fundamental concept of the Chameleon will prevail in a future market generation.

For this reason, Soundart will not entirely disappear. We will keep in a kind of hibernation mode and wait to resume some of the many projects that we have in mind at the time when the surrounding circumstances will be more reassuring. This means that the web site will remain online as a resource source, although updates and support in the forum or by e-mail can not be guaranteed. As a DIY grassroots project we of course want to see the Chameleon project continue, as that is what we made it for in the first place. So we will be around as much as we can.

My personal contact information is detailed below in the signature of this e-mail in case of need of assistance to repair a faulty Chameleon or if you are interested in talking to try to find ways the participate and / or cooperate in a possible future Soundart new project or re-incarnation.

Concerning your 100 Euro pre-payment for the Chameleon mkII, I can offer you several options:

1) Refund via PayPal.
2) Use it as part payment to purchase a fully new Chameleon at the ex-demo price (we have a very limited number of brand new units still in stock).
3) Use it as part payment to purchase some old, but unused and originally packaged, stuff from Waldorf, Clavia, Access, ESI, Aardvark, SM Pro Audio and other manufacturers that we have in stock. If you are interested, please let me know and I will send you a list.

Please, let me know which option you prefer.

Thank you very much once again for your support and understanding. I sincerely hope to be able to meet you again in a near future.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours truly.

Josep-Oriol Tomas i Huynh-Quan-Chiêu
Musical Muntaner S.A. trading as Soundart Gran Vía Pau Casals, 27 17480 Roses (Girona) - SPAIN
Phone: +34 972 256 257
Fax: +34 972 154 577
Cell: +34 607 202 048
http://www.soundart-hot.com/
E-mail: jotomas@soundart-hot.com

Dit is kl?te! Ik had er nog zo op gehoopt.

Jammer dat ze niet doorzetten.
Maar als er geld bij zou moeten dan is de lol er snel van af.

conceptueel lijkt het heel sterk, maar er zijn te weinig software idioten die de dsp kar kunnen en willen trekken. Ook de hardware van de chameleon I is niet heel krachtig, je moet redelijk low level programeren om wat te algoritmes gedaan te krijgen. De mk II is wat dat betreft wel een stuk beter. Ik denk dat ze meer de richting van de clavia modulars hadden moeten gaan waarbij alle bouwelementen open source zijn. Hierdoor zullen er snel meer objecten ontstaan en wordt het dus steeds interessanter zonder dat sound-art zelf participeerd. Wel jammer omdat het wel een platform had kunnen zijn om op te experimenteren.

ik ben zwaar zwaar bedroefd... =( :(
maar goed... het leven gaat verder... ik had wel al wat dingen verkocht om de Chammy mkii te kunnen bekostigen, dus nu moet ik mijn set-up maar weer eens gaan herzien...

jammer... heeeeeeel jammer...

Origineel geplaatst door Twiki
conceptueel lijkt het heel sterk, maar er zijn te weinig software idioten die de dsp kar kunnen en willen trekken. Ook de hardware van de chameleon I is niet heel krachtig, je moet redelijk low level programeren om wat te algoritmes gedaan te krijgen. De mk II is wat dat betreft wel een stuk beter. Ik denk dat ze meer de richting van de clavia modulars hadden moeten gaan waarbij alle bouwelementen open source zijn. Hierdoor zullen er snel meer objecten ontstaan en wordt het dus steeds interessanter zonder dat sound-art zelf participeerd. Wel jammer omdat het wel een platform had kunnen zijn om op te experimenteren.

ehm dit is toch al zo voor de chameleon? als ik me niet vergis is de code voor allerlei synths en stuff gewoon beschikbaar...

het probleem zit em er imho veel meer in dat "open source" en soortgelijke initiatieven in de realiteit maar door een paar fanatici worden getrokken, en de rest profiteert er alleen maar van mee... het lijkt erop dat de chameleon deze fanatici niet heeft kunnen binnenhalen en dan is het snel gedaan met je projekt .. vraag maar eens aan een open source project hoeveel gebruikers ze hebben vs hoeveel patches en uitbreidingen er binnenkomen op de bestaande code, dan weet je genoeg ;)

Origineel geplaatst door olafmol
het probleem zit em er imho veel meer in dat "open source" en soortgelijke initiatieven in de realiteit maar door een paar fanatici worden getrokken, en de rest profiteert er alleen maar van mee... het lijkt erop dat de chameleon deze fanatici niet heeft kunnen binnenhalen en dan is het snel gedaan met je projekt .. vraag maar eens aan een open source project hoeveel gebruikers ze hebben vs hoeveel patches en uitbreidingen er binnenkomen op de bestaande code, dan weet je genoeg ;)
Ik zeg toch hetzelfde,:confused: Het open source verhaal geldt in de clavia context. Een modular systeem waarbij de modules open source zijn en er nieuwe modules ontwikkeld worden door anderen.

Doe mij maar wat van die Waldorf speeltjes voor een lekker prijsje dan!

Elk nadeel heeft zijn voordeel! :D

Origineel geplaatst door Twiki
Ik zeg toch hetzelfde,:confused: Het open source verhaal geldt in de clavia context. Een modular systeem waarbij de modules open source zijn en er nieuwe modules ontwikkeld worden door anderen.

ah je bedoeld een modulaire synth? lastig, want daar is de doelgroep ook weer beetje klein voor, meeste mensen willen graag fixed architecture synths

Re: bye bye Chameleon mkII ???

Origineel geplaatst door nen belg
For this reason, Soundart will not entirely disappear. We will keep in a kind of hibernation mode and wait to resume some of the many projects that we have in mind at the time when the surrounding circumstances will be more reassuring. This means that the web site will remain online as a resource source, although updates and support in the forum or by e-mail can not be guaranteed. As a DIY grassroots project we of course want to see the Chameleon project continue, as that is what we made it for in the first place. So we will be around as much as we can.

Eigenlijk niets nieuws, maar 't is nu definitief. Kreeg deze mail vandaag.

Thank you very much for your e-mail and for your interest in the Chameleon mkII.

Unfortunately, I am sorry to let you know that the Chameleon mkII project has been just cancelled. The announcement will be published in our web site within the next days.

If you are interested, we still have some original Chameleon units that can be purchased through our web site.

Best regards.

Jammer!

Back