Kurzweil Nieuws

Progsounds

Paradigm Shift
Eindelijk goed nieuws.

Greetings Everyone,

It's been a while since the last newsletter. I hope this correspondence finds everyone in the "spring" of things, and in good spirits. In this issue: Ivory by Synthogy, Kurzweil's comeback, Nord joins the ranks, MusikMesse, and a triple planetary conjunction! I hope to see many of you next week at MusikMesse in Frankfurt!

NIGHT SKY PRODUCTIONS

All the new acquisitions from 2004 have now been fully integrated into the studio, and are fully functional. The studio at Night Sky is among the finest recording facilities in NYC and continues to serve the needs of the New York music professional. Feel free to call for a free consultation, or to check out the newly upgraded room.

Recent upgrades:
After the Winter NAMM Show, we immediately acquired Ivory by Synthogy. I can honestly say that it is the FINEST representation of a world-class acoustic piano money can buy - aside from the real thing. I found myself playing the Steinway D4, and the Bosendorfer Imperial 290 into the wee hours after installation. The sounds are so inspiring, I just couldn't stop playing! Kudos to Joe Ierardi, and all those at Synthogy for developing this groundbreaking piano plug-in! Their proprietary 32 bit engine streams audio from your hard drive. The interface is very intuitive, and extremely user-friendly. The engine is also friendly to computers with less hudspa than let's say a dual 2.5 GHz G5. You can limit parameters like polyphony, layers used, and turn off the actual release samples to reduce CPU usage. You can install one of three world-class grands, or all three if your hard drive space permits. A Yamaha C7, a Steinway D4, and the grandiose Bosendorfer Imperial 290 - complete with the extended bass notes! What truly makes this piano module remarkable, is that there are no loops, and no faking notes by transposing strategically placed roots, as most digital pianos do. The samples are massive, clean, pristine, and sweet to the last second! I can't recommend Ivory enough. Whether you need the most realistic piano possible for solo endeavors, or a killer, biting rock grand - Ivory will blow you away!

NIGHT SKY SOUND

A New Beginning

As promised, I would give everyone an update about Kurzweil. I couldn't disseminate any news until now, regarding the situation with Samick, Young Chang, Kurzweil and the complex legal entanglements that have subsequently developed. The Korean courts deemed the acquisition of Young Chang/Kurzweil illegal in the fourth quarter of 2004. Prior to Winter NAMM, the courts released Kurzweil from Samick's control. Kurzweil has since won their inventory back in yet another legal victory. Kurzweil (AND Music) has now regrouped, with many of the original employees that were so valuable to the company. The new facility is again in Lakewood, WA, and is almost back up to speed. Inventory has begun to ship again, and many, many products that have been unavailable for months and months will be ready to ship in just a couple of weeks.

Kurzweil is also committed to finishing new products that were abruptly halted during the Samick debacle. First and foremost will be the formidable VA-1 analog synthesizer. Work will resume on this awesome synth shortly, with Night Sky Sound contributing to the product's development, testing and most importantly - the voicing and soundware process. We are committed to help Kurzweil realize this stunning synth in the shortest time frame possible.

I want to personally thank all of you who have emailed me over the past 6 months with questions, concerns and support for Kurzweil and Kurzweil's future. Much to the naysayer's chagrin, Kurzweil will prevail and will succeed. Many are promulgating negative and false information on many synth forums and newsgroups. Some are even competitors, as well as former employees. As someone who has been involved with the company for more than 14 years, I have the real scoop from the very inside of the company. My information is reliable, accurate and to be trusted. Please ignore the multitude of fallacies being disseminated by former employees, former dealers (i.e. Sam Ash and Guitar Center), and even competitors and other synth manufacturers. Fads and follies come and go in this industry, but Kurzweil's technology has stood the test of time. The others are still playing catch-up after five years. There may be ROMplers out there with more built-in ROM, but V.A.S.T. is STILL the most powerful synth engine available today...period. KDFX (the technology that inspired the awesome KSP8), still has the best-sounding effects engine in ANY synthesizer...period. V.A.S.T. was introduced in 1992 when the groundbreaking K2000 was introduced. V.A.S.T. has since evolved in the K2600 Series (now called VAST 2) with the addition of Triple Mode - taking the possibilities to an even greater level. Bottom line: even with bells, whistles and massive ROM banks....the synthesis and DSP technology that Kurzweil uses is still king, and still sounds the best.

Lou Reed is now using the Kurzweil PC Series on his new tour as recommended by Night Sky Sound, and was floored by the PCR-2 Vintage ROM demo we gave him today. This ROM will soon be available for purchase again, and must be heard to be believed. The grooviest, funkiest, most psyche-delicious sounds from the 60s and 70s are all on this expansion board. Many of you are waiting for this ROM, as well as the software to run it in the PC1X. These back orders will be dealt with immediately after MusikMesse.

Kurzweil is back, Samick-free, and with an attitude! Look for the VA-1, as well as other new products coming this year! Thank you all again for your patience, support, and loyalty to this amazing legacy.

Night Sky Sound is proud to add the entire line of Clavia - NORD synths to our inventory. We are an authorized dealer for ALL Nord synths like the hot, new Nord Electro 2 and the Modular G2!! As a leader in synth sales, and development...we are the logical choice for your keyboard purchases. We will offer the same unprecedented support for the Nord family that we do for Kurzweil. Keep checking Clavia's website for info about the hot new product to be announced next week at MusikMesse!!!

Avalon is selling stronger than ever at Night Sky. We are offering bundles and specials to celebrate Musik Messe, and AES Europe in Barcelona! Please inquire within! I have also been personally asked by Mr. Avalon himself to attend Musik Messe in Frankfurt this coming week. I will be on hand, along with Beata Mablad (Ms. Euro-Avalon), to demonstrate these fabulous products, and answer all of your questions. Please come out to meet us, and get your free SWAG!

We are now offering the "Babyface Mod" for the VT-737SP! Acclaimed producer Babyface (along with Trent Reznor) asked Avalon to increase the attack time on the VT-737SP, so that it can better process transient and very dynamic applications. Avalon responded and created what is now known as the "Babyface Mod" for the VT-737SP. The VT-737SP is already the finest channel strip, or front end for ANY recording environment. The Babyface Mod, as well as the custom BLUE LEDS, and extras we offer with the VT-737SP just make it that much cooler!

If you already own a VT-737 and wish to add this mod, Night Sky will professionally install it in your unit for $79. This includes parts, labor and return shipping, plus a 90-day warranty on the mod! Wow!

Musik Messe SPECIAL: We will include the hot Babyface Mod ($99 value) on the opto-compressor, FOR FREE (with purchase of a new VT-737) - now through April 30, 2005! Mention this hot Messe deal, and you will also get a FREE VP-1 Vent Panel AND a cool Avalon Design T-shirt!!! How about FREE shipping and FREE double warranty? You bet. This special VT-737SP package is valid all month long for only $1,995!!! We have plenty of M5s, U5s, and AD2022s IN STOCK - ready to ship - all with the custom BLUE LED package. We have other MESSE specials and deals running in April. Please inquire for details, or see our eBay store!

We are also offering FREE shipping on Eclipses - worldwide, as well as free Eventide T-shirts with your purchase!! All Eventide purchases get our exclusive double warranty as well! Feel free to come by and check out the Eclipse, or the incredible new H8000A. We are bundling plug-ins with H8000 purchases. Call for details. Demos are given by appointment. We welcome you to come and hear the stunning effects in these and other Eventide processors.

2005 got off to a fantastic start, with many things going on here in the studio, as well as record sales, and hot new product lines. The tremendous growth will soon force us to hire more people as well as find a bigger facility! Thank you all for the continued patronage, support and kind words!

Thanks for reading, and have a great spring!!! See you in Frankfurt next week!

Best regards,

Steve D.

Back