Gandavon - Beauty

Tukker

SyntherKloas
Hallo mede synth-peeps,
Voor het eerst in vele jaren eigenlijk weer echt een album gemaakt. Het is hevig geïnspireerd door het werk en denken van Vangelis,
en is dan ook een beetje een tribute. Ik heb geprobeerd de sound te vatten, zonder een kopie te willen zijn oid. Geen covers, maar
origineel werk. Ik ben natuurlijk echt geen muzikant zoals hij, maar ik vind het zelf een geslaagd album. Lol

Ik ben nu nog bezig met de laatste hand te leggen aan afmixen en het uploaden naar Bandcamp. Tzt zal ik hier wat stukjes laten horen.

"What we need more than anything else is to invest in beauty, because beauty is harmony… that comes from chaos.
But we invest in chaos… because chaos is more profitable” -Vangelis

Bedankt voor jullie interesse.

Attachments

• GAND cover - Beauty.jpg
    GAND cover - Beauty.jpg
    175,1 KB · Bekeken: 168
Wel, beste forumgenoten en synthetische klankenliefhebbers, daar is hij dan.
Veel luisterplezier!

This album was heavily inspired by the life and work of well-known Greek composer Vangelis Papathanassiou, who is one of my greatest musical examples and a musician whose work I love very much.

I tried to make an album that has a similar feel to it without copying anything directly. Rhythmic devices, style, sounds, ideas and atmosphere, I think I managed to make both a heart-felt tribute as well as an original work that can stand on its own. -Gandavon (W.L. Higgins)

"What we need more than anything else is to invest in beauty, because beauty is harmony… that comes from chaos. But we invest in chaos… because chaos is more profitable” -Vangelis

Ik heb de tijd genomen om dit album nummer per nummer te beluisteren. Hieronder mijn indrukken per track.

Beauty:

Kruising tussen "To The Unknow Man" en "Alexander". Mooie, herhalende opbouw met iedere keer een laagje erbij. Begint heel eenvoudig maar evolueert tot een volledig verweven tapijt. Vanaf 3:33 schakelt alles over naar een pianogeluid en wordt opnieuw een opbouw van laagjes gehanteerd. Misschien ware het een beetje spannender geweest om er ergens een muzikale modulatie in te verwerken, maar dat is maar een detail. Al bij al een mooie inleiding van het album :okdan:.

Wavelengths:

Begint duister, een beetje in de sfeer sommige nummers uit "Antarctica". Ik weet niet welke (soft)synths je gebruikt hebt (CS80V?) maar je haalt heel overtuigend het karakter van de grootmeester z'n werk naar boven. Eens de e-piano invalt, ben je echt bezig met een mini filmscore. Knap!

Ages of Eternity:

Ritme uit "Alexander", allerlei effecten die me ook wel aan "The Bounty" doen denken. Het hoeft ook geen betoog dat je hier opnieuw de cinemakant uitgaat.

Fractals:

Dit nummer brengt me een beetje naar de sfeer van "Oceanic" maar dan wel in combinatie met vroegere werken. Zweverige akkoorden, dromerige sequences, mooie aanvullende melodiëen. Prachtig.

Ulysses First Pass:

Een eenzame sequence, aangevuld door RS-achtige strings, VP-achtige koren, allerlei muzikale effecten en exotische melodielijnen: sfeervol :halleluja:.

Metropol Sauvage:

De Rhodesachtige piano wordt aangevuld met zweverige akkoorden. De soms onverwachte melodiewendingen roepen inderdaad dikwijls de kunde van de grootmeester naar boven. Opnieuw sfeervol, een beetje triest maar heel mooi.

Joy of Life:

Ritme doet me eerst even een beetje Tangerine Dream denken (top). Maar na enkele seconden komt de invloed van Vangelis terug naar de oppervlakte. De meeslepende melodie wordt aangevuld door tal van muzikale effecten en subtiele akkoorden.

Algemeen: De tracks op deze productie zijn met de nodige zorg bedacht en uitgevoerd. Je doet de ons onlangs ontvallen grootmeester alle eer aan door de sfeer van z'n vroegere werk op te roepen. Het gebruik van lange galmen, goed uitgekiende percussie en de niet altijd voorspelbare melodielijnen zorgen er voor dat ik regelmatig dacht dat ik naar een postuum uitgegeven release zat te luisteren.

Voor iedereen die van de "oer-synthesizermuziek" houdt is dit een aanrader, niet in het minst voor de Vangelis-liefhebber.

Conclusie: Sterk album gemaakt met een grote liefde voor schoonheid! Het heeft zijn naam niet gestolen.

Well done. :okdan:

:doei:

Danny

Dank. Ik ben er even stil van.

Voor de liefhebbers, gebruikt werden:

-Korg 05/rw
-Novation K-Station
-U-He Podolski, TyrellN6, Zebralette en Zebra 2
-Synth 1

En verder alles gemaakt in Garageband
Vooral de Zebra 2 en TyrellN6 zijn veel gebruikt.

Dit is het hele album:

En een bespreking die ik deelde in een (internationale, vandaar Engels) groep met Vangelis-liefhebbers. Wat ik zeg zal grotendeels ook wel gelden hier... ;)

Like many here, I make music and consider myself to be inspired/influenced by Vangelis' work and ideas. Together with Jarre, Oldfield and Kitaro, but Vangelis was always the most admirable, imposing and interesting to me. A bit like a musical father, if you follow me.

At his passing I decided, like many here, to make some sort of tribute but I did not want to just copy or cover his work. So, I composed an original album on which I deliberately sought to emulate him as best I could. I have posted a link to it before, but now I'd like to say a few things about each track and show where the ideas came from. This way, it is not simply spamming my own work, but something more. (Winking at the admin here ;) )
I admire Vangelis' work very much, so talking about him and his music is a joy.

A Joy I share with many of you here, I'm sure.

Beauty:

Movement 1 Beauty 06:26
Movement 2 Wavelengths 05:01
Movement 3 Ages of Eternity 04:57
Movement 4 Fractals 08:29
Movement 5 Ulysses First Pass 06:12
Movement 6 Metropole Sauvage 03:38
Movement 7 Joy of Life 06:32

Movement 1 Beauty
The idea of the opening track was to start off with something reminiscent of "The Unknown Man" and "Conquest of Paradise". There's a little hint of Chariots of Fire in there as well. A little optimistic, upbeat.

Movement 2 Wavelengths 05:01
In the vein of "Antarctica", this is a bit like a song for a movie soundtrack. Some sound-effects remind the listener of Beaubourg. There's definitely some Albedo 0.39 in it too. Played live and then layered with other tracks.

Movement 3 Ages of Eternity 04:57
This is most easily recognized as referring to Mutiny on the Bounty, with that brooding bass sequence. It's one of those typical Vangelis pieces like the Opening Titles, but a bit like Procession, Himalaya and Into Eternity too. Taking you somewhere by pausing through monotony ín the very movement of the music. Amazing how he always managed to do that.

Movement 4 Fractals 08:29
Another track in which I took ideas from Antarctica -you can immediately recognize the distinctive clap with loads of reverb and the staccato strings- but added some different ideas from his earlier work again. There's that trumpet synth sound, the electric piano and a little touch of jazz that go back to the Savage soundtracks.

Movement 5 Ulysses First Pass 06:12
A little hint at Vangelis' second name (Odysséas), but directly named after the space craft (which was originally called Odysseus by the way) and its lonely mission in the vastness of space. It sketches a fly-by of some heavenly object and it brings Rosetta to mind. I'm sure many people will be reminded of Soil Festivities too, come to think of it.

Movement 6 Metropole Sauvage 03:38
Instead of something of a soundtrack for the savage wilderness, as in Vangelis' work for Rossif, I chose to compose this, for a 'savage metropolis'. Perhaps even Bladerunner's Los Angeles. I played this live, like Wavelengths, and did layer with multiple tracks again. I don't have Vangelis' setup, but did want to implement his relying on immediate, flowing inspiration method.

Movement 7 Joy of Life 06:32
Ending on a high note, this track has a bit of a Multitrack Suggestion (on See You Later) kind of beat and a pulsating, driving arpeggio like on the Albedo and Pulstar records. Joyful and optimistic, it hopefully leaves the listener with a bit of a mental smile.

To me, making the music was a fascinating journey into listening to the man's work anew, paying attention to every little detail; his melodies, harmonies, playing and sound programming and sound effects... I'm nowhere near as good -and never will be- but a little spark...perhaps I may carry that on and share it with others.

Thank you for reading and listening!

"What we need more than anything else is to invest in beauty, because beauty is harmony… that comes from chaos. But we invest in chaos… because chaos is more profitable” -Vangelis

Ik ben blij dat ik kennelijk goed geleerd heb van een muzikale grootmeester. ;) Nu afwachten wat meer eigen werk doet....

Back