Giorgio Sancristoforo Berna 2

vink

atropos-krans-os
de meest diepteloze stad van dit kale land
Giorgio Sancristoforo Berna 2. wa is da??

BACK TO THE PIONEERS

Berna is a software simulation of a late 1950s electroacoustic music studio, mostly inspired by the RAI studio di Fonologia Musicale of Milan. Oscillators, filters, modulators, tape recorders, mixers, are all packed in a easy-to-use interface with historical accuracy.

• 9 Oscillators
• 1 Noise Generator
• 1 Tone Burst Generator
• 2 Oscilloscopes
• 1 Frequency Shifter
• 2 Amplitude Selectors
• 2 Dynamic Modulators
• 1 Balanced Modulator
• 1 Variable BPF
• 1 Selective BPF
• 1 18-Band Vocoder
• 1 1/3Octave FIlter Bank
• 1 Plate Reverb
• 1 Tape Echo
• 1 Mixer
• 4 Tape Recorders

alleen standalone, voor windows en mac. €12, wilde niets meer kopen (hoe vaak zeg ik dat??)

maar dit is wel erg bizonder.

hij heeft meerdere interessante plugins, een encoder b.v. om een verborgen boodschap in je muziek op te nemen, decoder gratis...
maar hij heeft, of plugins, ze lijken me allemaal standalone, kan het niet beoordelen, louter voor MacOs... zeer interessante sja spul. een wat andere benadering, niet geheel, maar wel interessant.

heb de berna 2 gekocht, ik wacht op de licentie... mijn eigen ModLab?? sja, heel klein dan..

voor de Berna 2, geheel naar beneden scrollen, voor mac users, is er dus veel meer te vinden. kleine prijzen.

https://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/

Berna is gaaf inderdaad, kennelijk was ie ook van plan om het te porten naar de Axoloti, nog niet van gekomen jammer genoeg.

Het is een supertool.. wel een beetje een stijle learning curve maar je kunt er heel leuke dingen mee.. vergelijkbaar met die plugin van hainbach (Fundamental). Ik heb ooit meteen de bundel maar gekocht van Sanchristoforo... zeer gave tools.

Lijkt me leuk, waarom alleen voor mac helaas.

ja waarom? heeft een mac blijkbaar... het compileren voor andere besturingssystemen, op 1 OS, hoeft niet per se zo moeilik te zijn, wellicht voor plugins iets moeilikker, al weet ik dat niet.
het is dan wel opvallend dat Berna 2 er wel voor windows is, wat ik in de volgende paragraaf herhaal, want dit schrijf ik later, leuk taal/tekst...

maar de Berna 2 is er tevens voor windows, geen plugin overigens, maar standalone.
om zo'n oude techlab/modlab te hebben, wel niet zo immens uitgebreid, maar uitgebreid genoeg, is wel erg leuk. heel anders werken, of heel anders..

Berna 3 is onlangs uitgekomen:

Berna 3 early electronic music studio simulation release Fri.Oct 1st

WHAT’S NEW IN BERNA 3

Berna 2 was released in 2013 and it had a substantial improvement of the user interface. Meanwhile this early electronic music studio simulation become popular among schools and institutions of electronic music, among them the TUFTS University and the Royal College of Music of Stokholm. The primary goal of Berna had always been education and always will be.
Berna 3 tries to push the early electronic music studio simulation further, with more realism and details, and a new set of devices. All in all, Berna 3 will be an useful instrument both for students as well as for composers and producers who are interested in playing test equipment and historical devices.

At this time I am writing, Berna 3 is not yet completed, but we’re very close and I’m working night and day.
I’m right in the middle of the job and this time, I designed and rendered every equipment and dial in 3D, before coding the audio part.
This adds an unprecedented realism to the equipment and I cared also about crafting a vintage sound.
This time the oscillators and filters do not sound “digital”, but following the many requests from the musicians in the past years, I added a warm tone to each device. For example there are 9 different type of oscillators and each one has its own character.
Some are cleaner, some are “dirtier” and fat.
Another improvement I have made is to separate each device from the main interface. So this time every oscillator, filter, amplifier, has its own window. This has many advantages. I made the UI bigger and detailed, and using separate windows helps to keep the graphic memory and the CPU at acceptable levels.
Also, just like Gleetchlab, each device has an ON/OFF switch, which not only is realistic, but helps again to keep your computer far from heating too much.

The new test equipment I am adding to this early electronic music studio simulation have different functions, I can only anticipate a few of them. For example there are two pulse generators that will work with two high precision low frequency high-pass/low-pass filters, these together with the pulse generators will create a set of two (sort of) envelope generators (the real envelope generator was yet to be invented).
Filtering a pulse with an high pass filter at very low frequencies create a pulse with an exponential decay, and the decay depends by the cut-off frequency. Using a low-pass instead we get a log attack. So even if we can’t use a classic ADSR, you will get a functional AR without sacrificing the historical accuracy. This was a tip for which I have to thank the engineer Marco Bruno from Spin Electronics who is always a huge source of knowledge in vintage measuring instruments and electronics.

Another new device (there will be a good number) is something that is deeply related to my artistic practice and which gave me a lot of fun in the design. I thought of adding a random pulse generator, and so I added a simulation of a geiger counter and an X-Ray tube driven by a Rumkhorff coil. The geiger counter alone will give some sparse clicks which simulate faithfully the background radiation we live in, but if you turn on the Rumkhorff coil and give current to the X-Ray tube, the clicks will be faster and faster. You can use it as a clock source or as a sound and you will not get irradiated as I am sometimes, when I run these atomic experiments.

Another device is a simulation of the MESSGENERATOR MG60 used by Stockhausen for Studie II and Kontakte, and the AG-10, again used in Kontakte as well as the RAI Studios.

Ik heb de video (bijna een uur) maar 'ns bekeken en ze hebben er wel werk van gemaakt moet ik zeggen, erg leuk zo'n old school studio.
Lijkt me leuk om bijv samples van te trekken, wel een beetje jammer dat er (nog) geen vst versie is.

Back