Twisted Electrons: MEGAfm

Twisted-Electrons-Mega-FM.jpg

Nieuw van Twisted Electrons, de MEGAfm:

"We are proud to present MEGAfm, a result of several years of development.

MEGAfm uses and abuses the vintage YM2612 FM chip originally found in the Megadrive/Genesis games console. [h=3]Please note this is a pre-order. MEGAfm ships early March
Watch this page as more information becomes available.[/h] [h=2]BEAUTIFUL DIRT[/h]
Unlike most FM synthesizers that are very clean and digital, the YM2612 has very characterful tone allowing a broad sound palette ranging from beautiful plucked strings to growly distorted bass lines. [h=2]TACTILE OPERATORS[/h]
Hardware FM synthesizers are infamous for their reduced controls and complexity to program, with tiny LCD screens and only a couple of buttons to operate a load of menus…
With its 32 operators faders, 14 knobs and 15 buttons MEGAfm offers unprecedented hands-on FM control!

Every knob and fader can easily be modulated by the easy to use LFOs. [h=2]MAKE IT A DOUBLE![/h] The YM2612 chip offers 6 voices of crispy FM, 4 operators per voice and 8 algorithms.
MegaFM features 2 chips for a total of 12voices spread across two outputs (or summed to one) [h=1]FEATURES[/h]
  • 12 Voice Polyphony
  • Dual YM2612 FM chips (included)
  • 8 Algorithms
  • 4 Voicing modes (Poly12, stereo/wide6, special CH3 mode, 12 voice unison with detune/fat knob
  • Stereo or Mono output (1 chip per channel or both chips summed)
  • 32 Sliders for total control of all 4 operators
  • 14 knobs
  • 15 buttons
  • 23 LEDS, LED numeric display.
  • 3 lfos to modulate any parameter
  • 7-mode arpeggiator with transposable Sh-style step sequencer
  • Vibrato with depth and rate
  • MIDI clock on all LFOs, ARP and Vibrato
  • Dual 6.35mm TS output and 6.35mm Stereo Headphones output
  • DIN5 MIDI input with MIDI channel learn and thru/out"
Prijs: 474 euro, excl. BTW. Meer hier, met geluidjes... :W

Je kunt wellicht Sega mega drive MK1 vs MK2 checken.
Ik lees redit dat de MK1 megaFM ruwer klinkt.
Maar goed... Ik zou een MK1 kopen gewoon om het feit dat ik die heb en die klinkt geweldig. De rauwheid is een van de punten maar hij kan juist ook heel hifi klinken.
So who gives a f voor de mk2 :-)

Weet er iemand uit ervaring of er een klankverschil is tussen MKI(2612) en MKII(3438), buiten het volume? Het gaat dan over aliasing en hoeveelheid harmonischen.
Ik heb dus die sega filmpjes bekeken en hoorde weinig vershil maar kan aan mij liggen of Yt compressie doet iets met aliasing bedenk ik me nu.

"Now what if we swap the YM2612 in the Model1 for a YM3438?
The two chips are pin compatible so in theory it is pretty simple to remove the YM2612 in a model 1 and install a YM3438 instead. But remember that the two versions of the chip output differently so If you simply swap them over your genesis 1 will output garbage as sound. The genesis 1 onboard amp is inadequate for the 3438.

AFAIK this problem had not really been assessed and documented until earlier this year when a few modders, EvilDragon and Drakon among possibly others got in their mind to make this work. This concluded with a YM3438 working in a genesis 1 using a modified model 1 amplifier.

While this experiment was successful in the end it mostly went under the radar and was seen as a curiosity rather than something actually useful. One of the main reason for this is that it was assumed that the Discrete YM3438 was significantly inferior to the YM3438 that is integrated in the model 2 genesis. In other words the the stand-alone discrete YM3438 was seen as pretty much an equivalent of the YM2612 while the true superior chip was the FC1004 found in the model 2.

This is where I came in and repeated that experiment myself. However instead of using a modified model 1 amplifier on the discrete YM3438 I used the CCAM amp. It immediately struck me that the discrete YM3438 was being underrated and in fact was much more similar to the integrated YM3438 than was popularly admitted.

I also knew that simply saying so would be seen as: "well, thats just your opinion" and that this would be lost in the immensity of the internet all the while people would continue to occasionally speculate about it.

So i went a bit nut and decided to make this a big deal and do this blind test experiment to once and for all go to the bottom of the question and substitute all the talk by actual facts"

Bron: Discrete Vs. Integrated YM3438: Sega Genesis music blind test results. \ VOGONS

Ik zou gewoon voor de beste deal gaan. Staat een mk1 en mk2 te koop (mk2 van mij)

Ik heb zelf een MKII, maar denk dat ik hem wat te clean vind. Ik heb de sound van een DX21 of een FB01 met sound mod voor ogen, en dat is het net niet.
Bij de MKII als je de chips zou switchen, moet je ook 3 weerstanden die op de print zitten met soldeer verbinden.

Ik heb je link helemaal gelezen, tof leesvoer, maar geeft me nog steeds geen antwoord.
Op de site zegt men dat ze gelijk klinken, maar ik vind het vaag.

So "Yamaha then developed the YM3438, which is basically a CMOS version of the YM2612 but they also improved the DAC. This new DAC greatly reduced the amount of processing noise/aliasing in the sound."

De site gaat verder alleen over de 3438 discrete vs integrated.

Ik heb zelf een MKII, maar denk dat ik hem wat te clean vind. Ik heb de sound van een DX21 of een FB01 met sound mod voor ogen, en dat is het net niet.
Bij de MKII als je de chips zou switchen, moet je ook 3 weerstanden die op de print zitten met soldeer verbinden.

Ik heb je link helemaal gelezen, tof leesvoer, maar geeft me nog steeds geen antwoord.
Op de site zegt men dat ze gelijk klinken, maar ik vind het vaag.
Haha ok ja zie nu dat we al gecommuniceerd hebben bij marktplaats vraag. I rest my case.

als de patches uitwisselbaar zijn kun je misshien soundclipje krijgen van flyweight ;)
Denk dat weinig peeps beide units gehad hebben of beide nog in bezit.

Als jij vindt die te clean is dan heeft hij zeker niet mijn unit.
De MK1 kan rauw af klinken.

Nou ja ik ben persoonlijk overstag gegaan naar FM omdat ik dus op de megaFm kwam.. en ik weet niet wat je je publiek aan wilt doen maar ik vind de mk2 al pittig hoor. Boeit me verder echt niet welke je uiteindelijk wilt. Maar TE heeft ook nog andere producten met die YM2612 dus effe vragen.

Het gaat me niet over rauw kunnen scheuren, maar over aliasing en harmonic content, ook bij 'cleane' fm-sounds.
Maar goed, als niemand het echt weet, blijft het een mysterie ;)
Het verschil tss Sega Mega Drive 1 en 2 is best groot.
Een TX81z vond ik net niet, een DX21 was het helemaal. Zeer persoonlijk en gericht op een specifieke sound. FB01 net niet, met de audio mod, wel helemaal.
Jaja, ik ben een freak, dat moet ik niet perse nog horen ;)

haha, nou Fm heb ik eerlijk geen kaas van gegeten Aliasing wel omdat ik dat ook mooi kan vinden. Maar ik heb dat altijd uit andere hard en software gehaald dat het mede de sound van de megafm maakt is geen toeval dat ik hem kocht.

dit appt een maat van mij net door toevallig

Laatst gewijzigd:
Heeft iemand ervaring met MPE en de MegaFM?

Ik ben er nu mee bezig. In manual staat dat wanneer MPE actief is dat je de voices niet meer kunt veranderen. Bij mij wel dus en ik vraag me af of MPE wel geactiveerd is. Arp mode lampje is uit. Maar MPE selectie in Ableton doet niks. Midi kanaal 1 wel. Daar krijg ik best wel funky dingen mee. Althans je hoort vershil met of zonder de MPE control devices.

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 11.42.35.png

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 11.40.17.png

Ok ik ben wat verder... dit is ook een dingetje..
Zou wat zijn als je de 12 voices multitimbraal kunt gebruiken maar dat kan vooralsnog niet. Dus wellicht in de toekomst!?

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 11.58.53.png

Laatst gewijzigd:
Back