Linn swing: LinnDrum vs MPC swing

liquidthrust

Onverbloemd
Heeft iemand enig idee of de Linn swing hetzelfde is in de LinnDrum en de MPC reeks? Bedoel dan ook de 60 en de 3000. Zo maar een vraag, schoot me even binnen.

:kimono:

Laatst gewijzigd:
geen idee, maar wat ik wel wil toevoegen:
swing is meestal te vergelijken met het variëren van de afstand tussen de even of de oneven stappen (in een 16 staps raster tenminste)
het aantal mogelijkheden tot variatie is dan weer beperkt tot de resolutie van de interne sequencer
er gaan nogal veel verhalen rond van magische swing in bvb 909 en dat soort zaken, maar als je ze gewoon op een raster bekijkt zit het redelijk logisch in elkaar, en gebeurt de magie vooral tussen de oren

met deze kennis in het achterhoofd, de linndrum heeft een lagere resolutie dan de MPC dacht ik, dus ik zou zeggen, nee. maar de MPC kan mss wel swingen als de Linn.
Heb geen ervaring met beide toestellen, dus puur een gok.

Er is een interview met Roger Linn waarin hij in korte bewoording afrekent met deze mythe.
Ik zal kijken of ik het interview nog kan vinden.

1. Swing.

Swing – applied to quantized 16th-note beats – is a big part of it. My implementation of swing has always been very simple: I merely delay the second 16th note within each 8th note. In other words, I delay all the even-numbered 16th notes within the beat (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) In my products I describe the swing amount in terms of the ratio of time duration between the first and second 16th notes within each 8th note. For example, 50% is no swing, meaning that both 16th notes within each 8th note are given equal timing. And 66% means perfect triplet swing, meaning that the first 16th note of each pair gets 2/3 of the time, and the second 16th note gets 1/3, so the second 16th note falls on a perfect 8th note triplet. The fun comes in the in-between settings. For example, a 90 BPM swing groove will feel looser at 62% than at a perfect swing setting of 66%. And for straight 16th-note beats (no swing), a swing setting of 54% will loosen up the feel without it sounding like swing. Between 50% and around 70% are lots of wonderful little settings that, for a particular beat and tempo, can change a rigid beat into something that makes people move. And unlike the MPCs, my new Tempest drum machine makes it very easy to find the right swing setting because you can adjust the swing knob in real time while the beat plays. I first introduced swing – as well as recording quantization – in my 1979 drum machine, the LM-1 Drum Computer.

zo dus..

Back