Nieuwe firmware voor Teenage Engineering OP-1 (235)

MonoTron

Initiating Sequence..
https://www.teenageengineering.com/downloads/op-1

TE heeft blijkbaar een nieuwe firmware update voor de OP-1 waarin een aantal problemen worden gefixt.
Belangrijkste voor mij zijn de plops/clicks aan het einde van de tapeloops en digitale clipping die toch wel regelmatig voorkomt.
Hopelijk zijn deze eindelijk verleden tijd, ik heb de update zelf nog niet, dus kan er nog geen eigen mening over geven.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OP1users/comments/aszozn/fw_235_changes_everything/

Hey guys, so after updating to fw 235 the op1 is a new beast. It's worth mentioning that the sync and hi-res tape editing updates are fantastic (sync yet to be tested), but they have improved much more that isn't listed in the patch notes...

But first we need to talk about that hi-res tape editing. It makes the tape workflow so much better, and takes away the constant reliance on sequencing rests to keep samples in time. Now you don't even have to leave tape mode, and if you're someone who wants to build progressive hip-hop beats this really makes a difference.

Now onto the refinements that aren't being talked about enough:
  1. Graphics: The vector based graphics have been improved across the board, and no longer stretch to fit the screen. Any op-1 user with a keen eye would've noticed that the lines making up the UI did not perfectly match in width / height before (looked very slightly stretched / smushed), however this has been fixed entirely.
  2. Brightness / Colour: The colours seem to pop more on the new os, and i'm not entirely sure if it's RGB tweaking or an adjustment to brightness (most likely RGB).
  3. Compression / Mixing (BIG): The old op-1 software has horrible gain structure. Period. Especially with low end frequencies, where you would even struggle to play several notes at a time on some synth patches without nasty digital clipping. This has been FIXED, and i'm assuming it's to do with the compression used. All up this makes the op-1 sound less like a 10y/o digital mess and more like a modern gadget for the modern musician.
  4. Tape Pops / Clicks: Now this hasn't been fully tested, however from what i've experienced so far this seems to be much better on 235. Low end again was the culprit previously, scarring the tape when cut during a bass sample, kick, etc. This seems better now, and at least is consistently removable when recording over & lifting empty takes (rather than shifting further along the tape).
  5. Frame Rate: CPU load seems vastly improved, and this makes the graphics more buttery & consistent. This is most noticeable in tape mode & when modulating dsynth (which previously had criminally bad frame dips when you pushed it).
So this is what i've noticed so far after ~1 day of use on my 2018 model op-1. If others can chime in about their findings that would be dope. Peace.

Back