[MacBeth] M5, een semi-modulaire M3x en de Moroco

JohnnyBusca

rocket scientist

MacBeth is misschien al bekend vanwege zijn M3X, maar nu hebben ze een nieuwe analoge synth uit, de M5.
De M5 is een 3 VCO synth met per VCO een suboscilator, 2 LFOs met S&H en lagprocessor, twee filters, Ringmodulator en noise bron. Verder nog een VCA panner, zodat je leuke stereo effecten kunt gebruiken.
Het is een semi-modular, dus alles is interne gerout, mits je een patchkabel gebruikt, dan overruled ie de interne routing.

Er zijn mp3tjes beschikbaar onder waves.

Verder hebben ze de MOROCO
Een filterbank met 4 LFOs en 2 filters, ook weer semi-modulair opgezet. Hou de nederlandse dealer in de gaten.

info: http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com

Laatst gewijzigd:
Hij ziet er wel bruut uit.
Maar ik mis een ADSR module (of niet?)

Maar een 3VCO met elk een sub is toch redelijk uniek. Wel superstrak voor wrede bassen lijkt me zo.

Origineel geplaatst door fuse
Maar ik mis een ADSR module (of niet?)

Zie filter en amplifier sectie, daar zitten ze verstopt.

Weet iemand of die A van ADSR's van MacBeths een beetje snel zijn?

Het is trouwens een prototype zag ik staan.
Lijkt me een strakke concurrent van de SE-1x.

Origineel geplaatst door fuse
Weet iemand of die A van ADSR's van MacBeths een beetje snel zijn?

Het is trouwens een prototype zag ik staan.
Lijkt me een strakke concurrent van de SE-1x.

Fuse, heb je de M3X wel es bekeken? dat lijkt me eerder een concurrent van de SE-1x..werd ook ERG goed gereviewed in de SOS tijdje terug...

"It's worth remembering at this point that no two Minimoogs sound the same, and it's likely that no two instances of the M3X will be identical either. Consequently, an ostensibly identical patch set up on two Minimoogs and two M3Xs may well yield four subtly different sounds. Nevertheless, the M3X looks like a compact Minimoog, and sounds like a Minimoog. It's still a mistake to treat it as a Minimoog, because its additional capabilities make it a markedly different, more powerful instrument, and a 'touch-sensitive' one, at that. Nevertheless, the M3X retains the characteristic 'voice' of the Minimoog. So, should you buy one?

On one hand, if you're thinking about spending £500 on a tiny, 20+ voice polyphonic virtual analogue module with a squillion modulation options and effects processors, it's unlikely that the M3X will be of much interest. After all, McBeth's synth costs nearly twice as much, is merely monophonic, has no effects, and takes up a sizeable chunk of studio real estate.

On the other hand, if you're thinking of splashing out somewhat over a thousand quid for an nth-hand Minimoog, I would suggest that you take a very careful look at the M3X. It's far more flexible, both in terms of the sounds it makes, and in the ways you can use it. It's at least 20 years younger, and should have far more of its life ahead of it. And, for the most part, its sound is classic, vintage Moog.

Moreover, the M3X is almost certainly going to be cheaper than any working Minimoog, leaving you with enough spare cash to buy a powerful effects processor to spice it up even further. Who said that the British synth industry is dead? "

over de envelopes:

"If there is one quantitative difference, it's that the envelopes on the M3X are not quite as snappy as my Minimoog's, nor do they have the same amount of effect on their destinations. I understand that McBeth has already eliminated the latter discrepancy by increasing the gain of the VCAs driven by the envelope generators, but I'm not sure how he can speed up the Attacks. After all, manufacturers of analogue synths have been trying to emulate the Minimoog's sub-millisecond Attack for more than three decades, and, in my experience, only the enormous Technosaurus Selector has managed to do so."

bron: www.sospubs.co.uk

Olaf

Het lijkt me een ongelooflijk flexibel beest en hij komt hier ook absoluut op de kamer te staan. Een ontzettend mooi alternatief voor bijvoorbeeld een 2600.:okdan:

Supermooi spul allemaal. Ook die groene: ik hou wel van gear die eruit ziet als oude meetapparatuur, of als iets uit het leger. Ik vraag me alleen af hoe handig die osc. tuning knoppen zijn (10x draaien). Volgens mij heb ik liever 'n tune + fine tune knop + octave switch. Maar ach, kwestie van wennen denk ik.

Niet goedkoop allemaal, maar als je het vergelijkt met de concurentie nog best competatief geprijsd... ... ... Gear lust!

Hello everybody! I wish that I could speak Dutch! I hope that you like the M5 design so far. Here it is sounding amazing!
Rgards to all! Ken McBeth

Hi Ken, you here??:) Thank you for putting up the synced sounds on the site. Can't wait to get on the orderlist!!:D

Kind regards,

David

Ik ben trouwens wel benieuwd wat ie moet gaan kosten... De M3X kost 1995 EURO (niet de aanbieding!). Zou die M5 er een 2500 gaan kosten?

Ik weet niet waarom maar ik zie deze bak echt als alternatief voor de 2600 die ik binnenkort wou kopen, dus hoop ook een beetje dat ie ongeveer hetzelfde zal kosten. (2500-3000) Het lijkt me echt een machtig apparaat:D

Het eerste prototype van binnen.
Het ziet er netjes uit. Alles ruim opgezet.

Binnenkort wordt er meer duidelijk over de prijs. Ik hoop dat het in mijn budget ligt.. Echt een (semi-)modular voor mij..

Attachments

• m5prot1a.jpg
    m5prot1a.jpg
    65,6 KB · Bekeken: 51
Ken vraagt onze hulp:

Van Analogue Heaven mailinglist
Hi, All - I just posted this on the Harmony Central synth forum. Maybe some of you could give me your opinions also...

Hi, as I near completion of the design of the M5 circuits, I need you guys to give me your opinion/thoughts!
Basically, just now the Oscillator Section is complete- 3 separate VCOs- all with 5 octave switching, each VCO has its own 5 octave switched sub octaves. All Oscillators have PW/PWM- each osc syncs to each other, each osc features the multiturn pots as used on the M3X. Each osc has 5 wave forms- Saw/Tri/Squ/PW and Ramp. Each osc can be used for lfo application and also crossmod right into the audio spectra. So they are done. They provide a giant sound engine.
My question that I want to ask is- in my original design, I have a self oscillating transistor ladder filter bang in the centre- it's got a contour envelope and a vca envelope. There are 12 sockets for input/outputs etc. To the right of this filter sits an oberheim SEM type filter- its the state variable type- low pass, band pass and high pass. So far with other funtion that are included in this synth- there is no practical space for the the sem-type filter to have it's own envelopes. Currently, it can be seen as an after transistor ladder filter. It sounds awesome, especially when modulated with lfos or patched envelopes from the first filter. Personally, I love the sound of the very versitile SEM filter, the ability to switch thru low/band/hi pass options make it far more versitile than the transistor ladder filter, which is fixed lowpass.
To cut to the chase- I am now considering dropping the transistor ladder filter, and am now considering having 3 SEM type filters each with a filter contour envelope and each with a VCA envelope.
That would now give this synth 3 VCOs, 3 Sub-oscillators, 3 State Variable VCFs, 3 VCAs and six Envelope generators. With the planned dual lfos, noise generators and sample and hold- this will make the M5 bigger than the planned 12U rack space. It will also make the synth alittle more expensive to build/sell. But it would be a pretty unique and massive sounding synth. Effectively a three-voice pure analogue! It would sound like three synths together!
So people! Can you give me your opinions?
All the Best to the HC crowd, Ken

And all the best to the AH crowd too!

http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com
Home of the M3X Analogue synthesizer...

Ik denk dat de nieuwe opzet leuk is, maar liever zou ik nog een Spring Reverb willen zien.

Laten we nou gewoon hopen dat we deze direct van Ken zelf kunnen aanschaffen, zoals met de m3x... Zou zeker 9 slokken op een borrel schelen :D

Laten we met zijn alle eens meedenken over wat een nieuwe semi modular bijzonder zou kunnen maken. :) Ik ga er morgen, als ik weer moet werken, over na denken! :)

Damn! Ik begin nu al te brainstormen...

Ik voel een soort van SIDstation LFO implementatie, met een interlace functie om zo wicked modulaties te maken. :) Ik zal eens een documentje maken :)

Back