Loops in piano samples maken

Artificial Soul

Stamgast
Dit hoort misschien thuis in de rubriek "samplers", maar ik denk dat het daar meer gaat over het gebruik van hardware equipments. Mijn vraag gaat meer over geluidstheorie hoe je loops in samples van piano sound library maakt. Ik weet dat het vaak leidt tot niet fraaie resultaten. Maar zonder loops wordt de gehele library een stuk groter, wat meer RAM vereist van je computer. Als ik hiermee mijn library terug kan brengen tot 128 Mb of minder, kan ik 'm misschien importeren in mijn oldskool E-MU sampler. Een hardware sampler klinkt toch wat anders dan software op de computer, dus het is om die reden wel het proberen waard denk ik zo.

Ik heb deze vraag weleens elders gesteld en dan krijg ik eigenlijk standaard als antwoord dat ik dat niet zou moeten willen. Het zou kunnen dat de meesten niet echt snappen waar ik naartoe wil, dus ik heb goed mijn best gedaan om de vraag en mijn eigen ideeën erover zo goed mogelijk duidelijk te maken. Ik heb het wel in het engels gedaan, maar ik wil het ook hier stellen, want wie weet krijg ik hier wel heel goede tips 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The most important thing to me about sampling the sound of an acoustic piano is how expressive and dynamic it plays, of course when you use a good quality weighted keyboard. If I am allowed to choose between a sampled piano library which sounds very realistic but it turns out it lacks expressiveness and a library by which it's the other way round than I will probably choose for the last option. I do find realism and authentism very important, however I am aware it's very challenging to capture its sound, especially for sample libraries for software-instruments. Suppose I've got the skills and the equipments to sample a grand piano, than I'll focus on two features which are the most important for me: expressiveness and pleasant to hear.

When you'll notice it's obvious a sampled piano it doens't necessarily mean it's less pleasant to listen to or less suitable for playing. When I listen to electronic music I often notice the instruments are sampled instead of recordings of acoustic instruments. That doesn't always have to be a negative thing. For example a violin or flute sound which are so obviously sampled you can hear the loops and pitching can sometimes still be enjoyable to listen to. Of course that's personal for everybody; I using this example to explain my thoughts about sampling.

Digital pianos usually contain looped samples, because otherwise there ain't be enough ROM to store all the samples of each key in multiple layers. It very hard to create suitable loops in piano samples. Even when the loops are perfectly seamless it can be very annoying to hear in piano sounds. I often notice the loop is very short to prevent those annoying repetitions, because then it's just a flat sound which can be programmed in the release part of the volume envelope. It's less annoying but still far from a joy to notice while playing.

What exactly happens during the sound of a string when it vibrates? A piano is a stringed instrument just like a guitar. When I listen to it's sound diminishing after pressing the keys, especially in the low tone register I'll notice some kind of repetitions in wavelengths lasting a few seconds. I will hear the same kind of pattern by other stringed music instruments and in some percussion instruments like cymbals as well. What exactly happens there and how can I simulate this in audio editing software? It must be possible and I expect it's probably not very hard to accomplish: it only requires some basic knowledge about sound and acoustics which I do not have now. If you can explain this to me or tell me where to look for information about it than you already make me a happy man! :)

I have an idea for creating loops in piano samples which may not sound authentic but still can be a lot more pleasurable to listen to. I'll show in the following picture what I have in mind:

piano-wave.png

This is a sound wave from a single key press on the piano. The first part lasts for about 8 seconds. After that the sound is already quite deminished. From this point the loop starts. It is originally a very short lasting loop: enough it's recognisable as the sound of a piano but it doesn't contains variations so it will sound very flat. This is how many loops in piano samples are created.

In sound editing software (like Audacity) I repeat this loop so many times it will last a couple of seconds, so I can edit it to simulate the string vibrations. How should I do that? I'm thinking about using tremolo effects or perhabs chorus effects.

Finally I can attach this edited part after the first unedited part of the piano sample by using crossfade.

I have many more questions though I think this is the best start to begin with.

Attachments

• piano-wave.png
    piano-wave.png
    253,1 KB · Bekeken: 185
Pas geleden op een ander forum idd tip gekregen over Pianoteq. Zeker de moeite waard om uit te proberen.

Technisch gezien zijn samples outdated, maar je kan je creativiteit kwijt in het programmeren. Eigenlijk ben ik daar pas mee begonnen, omdat ik voorheen erg opzag tegen al dat werk. Maar ik krijg nu door hoe het werkt en Polyphone bevat handige functies die het een stuk makkelijker maken zoals autoloop en automatisch verdelen van bereik samples.

Soundfonts kunnen geconverteerd worden naar bestanden voor oldschool samplers: dan klinkt het net wat 'rauwer' dan vanaf de computer. (Hoewel dat laatste ook erg afhankelijk is van de DAW of andere software)

Ik ga dat stuk op SoundOnSound eens lezen :)

Back