Waldorf KYRA (was: Exodus Digital Valkyrie)

GZKc2jYzTHXvYQ9aZy9JxW-970-80.jpg

Wordt geïntroduceerd tijdens MusikMesse:
While many synth manufacturers are saving up their new wares for the Superbooth show in May, Exodus Digital is choosing to launch its new Valkyrie instrument at Musikmesse, which kicks off on 11 April and runs until 14 April.

It looks a pretty juicy piece of hardware, too: Valkyrie is 8-part multitimbral and offers two groups of 32x oversampled oscillators per voice (the total number of oscillators is 1280) with hard sync, ring mod and FM. Dual PCM wavetables provide you with 4,096 waves, while the dual analogue ladder modelling filters come in 12 and 24bB flavours.

Other features include a modulation matrix, a stereo hypersaw, an arpeggiator, three EGs and three stereo LFOs with 64 shapes and MIDI sync. There’s a nine-module FX unit and Valkyrie offers 128 notes of polyphony.

Ambitiously, Exodus Digital has come up with its own hardware design and operating system for Valkyrie, stating that DSP chips are “obsolete technology from the ‘90s”. It uses less than 10W of power and can start up in less than four seconds, apparently. What’s more, we’re told that this will be a “mainstream synth that will launch at a mainstream price”.

Both rack and keyboard versions of the synth are in development, and we’re hoping to find out more later this week. As things stand, the only official information you can find online is on the Exodus Digital SoundCloud page.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/mus...a-march-on-its-rivals-with-the-valkyrie-synth

Interessant - eindelijk weer eens een moderne VA synth met dikke specs! Leuk om tussen al dat analoge en remake geweld weer eens iets te zien dat van de norm afwijkt. Moet er wel bijzeggen dat ik het kastje op de foto niet bepaald aantrekkelijk vind ogen.

:) ben ook wel benieuwd!

Heeft wel wat weg van een 90ies versie van de Virus Ti :D

Meer info (in de balk rechts) en sounddemo's op https://soundcloud.com/exodusdigital

The Valkyrie Synthesizer is finally complete and will be launched at MusikMesse, Europe's biggest Music Show, in April 2018 in Frankfurt. Come and see Valkyrie for yourself on stand F46 in Hall 4.1. Valkyrie is a mainstream synth and will launch at a mainstream price.

Valkyrie has two groups of five 32x oversampled oscillators per voice (a total of 1280 actual oscillators) with hard sync, ring mod and FM, dual PCM wavetables with 4,096 (!) waves available, dual analog ladder modelling filters with 12 and 24dB/octave options, an advanced modulation matrix, a killer stereo hypersaw, an arpeggiator, 3 EGs and 3 stereo LFOs with 64 shapes and MIDI sync. It is 8 part multitimbral with a dedicated nine module FX unit per part including shelving EQ with sweepable mid and formant filter, dual (pre- and post-FX) tube response limiters, 5 algorithm distortion unit, chorus/flanger, DDL, a truly wonderful 6-stage phaser plus reverb. All of these run in stereo at 96kHz floating point. With the exception of dual filters/dual voice mode which uses two voices per note, Valkyrie ALWAYS delivers 128 notes of polyphony regardless of settings or effects. There are no compromises.

Valkyrie implements full keyboard MIDI tuning for alternative tunings such as Hermode.

Valkyrie is a hardware synth. There's no DSP chips here, that's obsolete technology from the 90s. All sound generation and filtering is 100% custom build hardware that was designed from the ground up for interactive creativity. We even designed our own multicore operating system designed specifically for audio. Valkyrie uses less than 10W of power and starts up in less than 4 seconds. Keyboard and 19' rack models are in development.

Valkyrie has 4 balanced stereo 32bit 96kHz analog outputs using audiophile-grade components including an Asahi Kasei DAC and Nichicon Fine Gold capacitors, 8 stereo 48kHz/96kHz parts over USB 2.0 (Audio Class 2.0 profile, Windows 7+ and OSX) with ASIO, ultra low latency MIDI (via physical MIDI and USB) and a beautiful high resolution OLED display. Valkyrie comes complete with a comprehensive Editor/Librarian application for Windows and Mac users. Valkyrie stores over 3,300 Patches all of which can be instantly recalled on the front panel or via MIDI.

Inderdaad een beetje een soort Virus. Prima. Als hij ook nog zo goed klinkt.

Hier heb je hem ook in het blauw. Beetje ouderwets misschien, maar ik ben wel fan van 90-ies synths.

exodus-digital-valkyrie-blue-730x528.jpg

Ze gebruiken FPGA chips. Field Programmable Gate Arrays, ofwel een hoop logische poorten die je na fabricage van de chip naar hartelust en eigen inzicht aan elkaar kunt knopen. Programmeren op hardware niveau dus.

Deze flexibiliteit maakt het mogelijk om sterk geoptimaliseerde en daardoor erg snelle schakelingen te maken voor de toepassingen die je er voor hebt. Vaak gaat het dan om grootschalige paralleliteit, dus veel berekeningen tegelijkertijd. In geval van de FPGA in de Valkyrie levert dat dus veel stemmen op (en dus een winnaar ;) ).

Interview met een/de ontwerper:

Peter:
What was the idea behind the Valkyrie?

Manuel:
I wanted to build a great synth, it’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was a kid (and that’s a long time ago!). Back in the 80s I build a synth out of 8 Commodore SID chips (I wish I still had it!) and that is where it all began really.

The idea came about when I was talking to some hardware guys I worked with at a previous employer. These guys were deep on FPGAs and we got talking. I had prototyped a few ideas using the tried-and-trusted route of using DSPs (e.g. SHARCs) but really, the performance wasn’t anywhere close to build a synth that would make an impact. From there, Valkyrie, in its current form, was born. I believe a hardware synth has to be able to offer more than virtual instruments, just being ‘hardware’ is not sufficient. Contrary to some of the discussions I see online, Valkyrie’s sound generation and filters really are hardware, they’re not software. Only the control and effects are software. No DSP would get anywhere close – I looked at them all. They filters are entirely digital but they’re digital hardware, not software running on a DSP chip.

Peter:
The Wavetable-Feature reminds me a little bit off the Microwave XT. Is it quite similar?

Manuel:
I’ve not used an XT myself, but an obvious difference is the sheer size of the wavetables – XT (and Virus) offer 64 whereas Valkyrie has 4096 – There’s 72 groups of up to 128 waves covering all sorts of stuff, my favourites being the FM set which has a lot of complex waves inspired by legendary Yamaha FM synths. With FM, ringmod and hard sync possible between the two wavetables you can imagine there’s a lot of flexibility to create all sorts of sounds. As the wavetables are 32x oversampled (1.5MHz!) you can push them really hard without any risk of aliasing.

Peter:
The new picture is a desktop-version but without the frame it looks like it could be fitted into a 19“ rack, correct?

Manuel:
Yes, spot on. It is designed so that the end panels can be replaced with rack ears. A 19’ format as well as a keyboard model are in development right now.

Peter:
Who is behind EXODUS DIGITAL?

Manuel:
Just me, Manuel Caballero. Valkyrie’s development was supported by a couple of hardware contractors and sound producers.

Peter:
Is this the first music-product of your company?

Manuel:
The company is actually an established digital consultancy in the streaming video space – this is a new development for the company. I have big plans for the platform so watch this space.

Peter:
I’m sure thats a prototype. But when will it come into the shops?

Manuel:
Just as soon as I can get distribution and support deals in place. That should be clearer after Musikmesse.

Peter:
Any idea about the retail-price?

Manuel:
That will depend on the distribution agreements but it will be ‘mainstream’ pricing. It’s definitely not a crazy-price curiosity.

Peter:
Thank you very much for this interview, Manuel.

Product heeft dus nog wel even te gaan zo te zien.

Technisch gezien mooi gedaan, alleen hoor ik nog weinig nieuws in de demo's. Geen geluiden met een wow-factor, en als je de specs leest mag je dat eigenlijk wel verwachten.

Prijs al iets van bekend?

Verkrijgbaarheid en prijs hangt schijnbaar af van distributie en servicedeals die nog gesloten moeten worden.

Ben wel benieuwd of zo'n 'one-man band' ding gaat werken als het gaat om updates/bugfixes en kinderziektes enzo.

Vind m ook oerlelijk maar de specs liegen er niet om!

Tja, hij is nou niet bepaald mooi ontworpen. Tis een rare mengeling tussen druk- en draaiknopjes geworden.
Qua design kunnen ze nog wel wat van de access virus leren.
Ik vind die blauwe versie eigenlijk mooier op een foute manier.

Wel iets beter dan die grijze, maar ik denk wel dat je tzt hoofdpijn gaat krijgen van deze kleurstelling.

2 rijen koelsleuven voor een ding dat geen 10W verbruikt is ook wel lekker aan de veilige kant genomen. :) In de demo's hoorde ik niks slecht, maar ook niks nieuw. Dus ik wacht nog even af of er muzikaal interessante experimenten met de enorme spec van het ding mogelijk zijn.

Ehm, ben ik nou de enige die deze bak op een Virus met een allergie vind lijken?
Hij klinkt zelfs in dezelfde straat als de Virus. Ik moet denk ik komende tijd meer zien en horen om mijn mening wat te kunnen onderbouwen. Maar voorlopig vind ik de TI2 sexier.. dsp's of niet.

Back