TheoryBoard

As we move through time the universe is constantly reconstructing matter into novel forms. Old constructs fade into the past as new designs emerge. The TheoryBoard is the evolution of the MIDI controller. Its innovative lay out allows the user access to a new way of perceiving music, making it the ultimate hack for production and composition. Never before has a MIDI controller given this level of insight into the language of music theory. The previously complex world of scales, chords, inversions, melody, and harmony is finally packaged into an easy-to-use, simplified form. By merging color and sound the TheoryBoard provides a synesthetic experience for anyone interfacing with the product. Diatonic scales, chord groups, and the correlations between them are expressed through color giving the user a unique advantage by allowing visual reference points while playing. The TheoryBoard houses every scale known to man. When the user selects a scale they have full access to every note and every possible chord within that scale. This removes any doubt from what can, or can't be used... All the right combinations are right there at your fingertips. The TheoryBoard is for anyone interested in composing or producing music. A complete novice could pick this up and instantly level up their understanding of theory, while advanced producers could use this to derive new inspiration.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1962606435/theoryboard-music-theory-made-easy

Attachments

• 1a6d9af1134866afc34c47f14b382b58_original.gif
    1a6d9af1134866afc34c47f14b382b58_original.gif
    3,8 MB · Bekeken: 300
Last edited by a moderator:
Vanochtend een update gekregen m.b.t. de voortgang. Potverdikkie, wat een aanpassingen, zelfs een sequencer er bij! Wordt zo toch wel echt een heel leuk ding! Blij dat ik meteen on board gesprongen ben... :halleluja

What's up?! I hope everyone is doing well. Let's get right into it. All of the patent stuff has finally cleared so we are safe to disclose information with all of you. I want to share our PCB design with you even though I know for a fact that competitors have been watching our campaign. Designing the PCB was not an easy task. With this major feat out of the way we can start to focus energy on other aspects of the TheoryBoard. This file (along with components) has been sent off to the board house so we should be receiving the PCB within 11 days. When this comes in I will post pictures/videos. At the same time, we hired an outside engineering firm to review our circuit design. If they see anything that can be redesigned in a more efficient manner they will make minor changes. The revision that we receive from them will be the final PCB. This is what we will use for our production run. We chose to do this to make sure that these boards stand the test of time.
5729cc8b5f8b32e64842a790a99faa16_original.jpg

We added an extra 4 by 4 grid to the right hand side of the TheoryBoard. This opens up a lot of new possibilities for the user including:
- Easy access to the chromatic scale (all 12 notes)
- The ability to invert (or flip-flop) the chord and melody side
- The ability to run different chord sets on both sides at the same time (i.e. A Mixolydian chords on left, E Melodic Minor chords on right) (pictured below)
12158bdd44e6f0fef9df1f0a24793b4e_original.png

- One side to act as a step sequencer, while the other side loads a melody or chord set that can be sequenced (pictured below). Color information will stay intact to give the user visual feedback
1ec54def5875d328b6e56586a90d6237_original.png

Above each 4 by 12 button pad section you can see 12 additional buttons (pictured below). These are designated for on-the-fly key change/modal interchange functions. These buttons will be capacitive touch (touch sensitive). The 96 other pads (with the LEDS in the middle of them) will be velocity sensitive, elastomer pads (think ableton push) with aftertouch. The TheoryBoard can be used the exact same way as you saw in the first prototype, or you can easily get into some deeper musical concepts.
f71b25ace780d1a50964113f298dac4a_original.jpg

First let's talk key-change. These 12 new pads allow you to shift the root note of the loaded scale on-the-fly in real time. If I was playing a song in D major and in the middle of a progression I started playing in B major, this would be called a key change and/or direct modulation. I shifted the root note, but the scale stayed the same (D major --> B major..... same scale, different root note). So as you can see below, the root note D would be illuminated because I am in the scale of D major.
7354d6a93f71ae4d62886cb2de2277e8_original.png

Now let’s say I apply a key change / direct modulation to the loaded scale. I hit the root note of B... B becomes illuminated and the chord and melody side follow suit and adjust accordingly. I now have the scale of B major loaded (Figure 4). In more complex musical pieces the musician might want to apply direct modulation and this layout allows them to do so.
4f36ec0ee6c95d3f40b4639b0dbdb03a_original.png

Now let’s take a look at how the 12 new pads on the right side of the TheoryBoard would allow the user to do something called “modal interchange”. The left side is still loading chords and the right side is still loading single notes like in the first revision. Let’s say we are in the scale of D major. The right control pads (top 12 pads) will now suggest completely different scales, but they will share the same root note (pictured below). If a musician is playing in D major and then shifts into D Harmonic Minor mid song he/she just executed a modal interchange (I.E. D Major --> D Harmonic Minor, same root note different scale). The chords and single notes will adjust accordingly to the modal interchange.
7cf1e9ee2170dab4099e4ab2d0baec27_original.png

If you want a great explanation of how modal interchange works click HERE. These pads can easily be programmed by the user (they can swap out unwanted scales for other ones).
Now the control panel shown in the below image isn't finalized yet. In order to continue to develop new features we designed this PCB with slots for a development board to plug into it. This ate up a lot of real estate so we were forced to temporarily shrink the control panel. Eventually this development board will be replaced by a much smaller ARM chip. This will free up more space for the control panel. I wanted to tell everyone that just incase you were wondering why the buttons were so small. Also, we are still experimenting with other layouts and if we find something better we might adjust it.
23979210971681a1db1a0b0b4e6c58b0_original.png

The control panel consists of:
- Octave, invert, and spread capacitive touch buttons
- A rotary knob
- Left and right side control buttons
We also added the 3 inch LCD. On the back of the TheoryBoard we have MIDI in, MIDI out, USB, and power (this might not be needed, but we added it just incase).
Here is a picture of all of the components for two TheoryBoards.
430b6d6af0790cb835d85d83c20b26be_original.JPG

So, Scott will spend the time leading up to the release writing and testing software. Some of the focuses are: improved menu system, firmware update-ability via USB, and aftertouch controls. A crucial feature is that the firmware needs to be updatable over USB so that we can ship the TheoryBoards as soon as we get them in, and then be able to update users with new features as they are finished and tested for release. This will allow people to use the TheoryBoard as it was shown in the video, but give us the flexibility to drop (free) feature updates like chord step sequencing.
If you were to model the human body you would start with the skeleton and build out from there. This is a similar situation. Now that the PCB is designed we can expand outward. I will be focusing on button and case development. Our elastomer/polymer guy (Ian) has our files so we expect to be receiving some pads around the same time we get our PCB back.
This was definitely a difficult part of the process, it feels good to have the majority of the hardware design out of the way. We have been keeping our heads down, staying focused, and working as hard as we can to make this happen. We are still on pace to deliver in May. Stay inspired people! We love you guys! We should have some physical items to show off in the next update... Peace and love.
Plaatjes ff niet mee gekopieerd, maar ziet er vet uit:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1962606435/theoryboard-music-theory-made-easy/posts/2131415

hoe staat het hier mee? hebben mensen hem al in huis?

Nee, niemand heeft ‘m al, want de productie is nog niet op gang gekomen. Ze hebben er iets langer (understatement) over gedaan om de hardware goed te krijgen. Zie ook de updates bij Kickstarter. Ziet er inmiddels wel een heel stuk anders (en beter) uit dan de 1e versie. Zijn erg veel featutures bijgekomen. Ze zijn veel tijd kwijtgeweest met de juiste technologie voor de pads. Als het goed is zou eind deze maand wel meer duidelijkheid moeten komen of ze nu klaar zijn om alles in elkaar te zetten en verschepen. Ik reken op mei, dan kan het niet tegenvallen...

Nu nog maar 8 maanden wachten! :koffie:
Ik reken op mei, dan kan het niet tegenvallen...
Even mezelf quoten... Het heeft uiteindelijk 2 jaar en 2 maanden geduurd, maar ik heb gisteren mijn Theoryboard ontvangen. Het is een fraai dingetje geworden, de buttons spelen i.i.g. prima.
koediman en Eurynom3 hebben jullie 'm ook al ontvangen?

Even mezelf quoten... Het heeft uiteindelijk 2 jaar en 2 maanden geduurd, maar ik heb gisteren mijn Theoryboard ontvangen. Het is een fraai dingetje geworden, de buttons spelen i.i.g. prima.
koediman en Eurynom3 hebben jullie 'm ook al ontvangen?

Heb wel bericht gehad dat hij verstuurd ging worden maar verder nog niks gehoord. Zal niet lang meer duren denk ik. Eerlijk gezegd vraag ik me momenteel af of het voor mij nog een nuttig ding is. Ben ondertussen minder bezig met of iets tonaal wel klopt ofzo. Aan de andere kant; het lijkt me wel leuk om op simpele wijze passende akkoorden in verschillende toonsoorten uit te proberen dus wellicht ga ik er toch plezier van hebben.

Eerlijk gezegd vraag ik me momenteel af of het voor mij nog een nuttig ding is. Ben ondertussen minder bezig met of iets tonaal wel klopt ofzo. Aan de andere kant; het lijkt me wel leuk om op simpele wijze passende akkoorden in verschillende toonsoorten uit te proberen dus wellicht ga ik er toch plezier van hebben.
Dat is ook zo'n beetje hoe ik er in zit. Ik moet wel zeggen dat het erg leuk is om de akkoorden die ik nooit zo uit de mouw zou schudden direct kan spelen. Polyfone aftertouch is ook een mooie "touch"... :D . Wat een beetje jammer is, is dat er geen MIDI-TRS adapter bij zit. Die heb ik nu even moeten bestellen. Het is dus puur de TB die in de doos zit, ook geen adapter. En inklaringskosten uiteraard, 69,45 Euro. Hij is ieder geval solide gebouwd, niet te groot, niet te klein en best licht.

Ja, die kosten had ik ook al verwacht, dat maakt het nog een tikkie duurder voor iets wat ik nu niet meteen nodig heb. Ik heb ook overwogen om alles ingepakt te laten en ongebruikt te verkopen maar denk toch dat ik het niet kan laten 'm een tijdje te proberen.

Is het trouwens deze midi-adapter die nodig is? https://www.thomann.de/nl/critter_guitari_trs_midi_cable.htm

Nou, bij mij istie ook binnen. Om onverklaarbare redenen moest ik nog een 10tje meer betalen dan SmartBits bij het ophalen (80 euro dus). Morgen komt de midi-adapter binnen. En dan is er nog een obstakel, er zit een US adapter bij. Ik heb dus een opzetstukje nodig om'm te kunnen gebruiken (of een andere 5V adapter maar die heb ik niet over). Als iemand een tip heeft waar ik goedkoop zo'n ding vandaan haal, graag! (Ja, bij Ali-express is het makkelijkst er 1 te vinden maar om nou nog 6 weken te moeten wachten...)

Nou, bij mij istie ook binnen. Om onverklaarbare redenen moest ik nog een 10tje meer betalen dan SmartBits bij het ophalen (80 euro dus). Morgen komt de midi-adapter binnen. En dan is er nog een obstakel, er zit een US adapter bij. Ik heb dus een opzetstukje nodig om'm te kunnen gebruiken (of een andere 5V adapter maar die heb ik niet over). Als iemand een tip heeft waar ik goedkoop zo'n ding vandaan haal, graag! (Ja, bij Ali-express is het makkelijkst er 1 te vinden maar om nou nog 6 weken te moeten wachten...)
Da's apart, dat je meer moest betalen. De Midi adapter van Thomann werkt iig, die had ik gisteravond binnen en getest. Ook raar dat jij wel een adapter bij de TB hebt gebregen; ik had alleen de TB en een papiertje ("handleiding"). Dus ik moet er sowieso ook 1, tips zijn voor mij ook handig! Moet een 1A 5V adapter zijn. Ik gebruik 'm nu via de USB aansluiting met mijn PC, werkt ook prima voor de stroom.

Okee, ik heb'm aan de praat. Aangesloten via midi-adapter op de Cirklon. Het is even wennen maar de mogelijkheden beginnen nu wat duidelijker te worden voor me. Ik zie ook wel degelijk de bruikbaarheid voor mij nou.

Wel een tegenvaller voorlopig: bij mij werkt de aanslaggevoeligheid niet. Alles is even hard. Ik dacht dat het misschien aan het gebruik van de TRS midi ipv USB midi zou liggen. Maar heb jij daar dan geen last van SmartBits? Of zie ik iets over het hoofd? Ik heb de aanslaggevoeligheid-settings pagina gevonden en helemaal onderaan staat "fixed velocity". Om uit te proberen heb ik die op 1 geprobeerd en nog komt alles op volle sterkte binnen dus het is echt niet in orde.

Wel een tegenvaller voorlopig: bij mij werkt de aanslaggevoeligheid niet. Alles is even hard. Ik dacht dat het misschien aan het gebruik van de TRS midi ipv USB midi zou liggen. Maar heb jij daar dan geen last van SmartBits? Of zie ik iets over het hoofd? Ik heb de aanslaggevoeligheid-settings pagina gevonden en helemaal onderaan staat "fixed velocity". Om uit te proberen heb ik die op 1 geprobeerd en nog komt alles op volle sterkte binnen dus het is echt niet in orde.
Dat is raar idd. Bij mij werkt velocity prima, zowel via USB als TRS MIDI. Ik zou even contact opnemen met Irjule, ik had FB Messenger vrij snel antwoord op een vraag. Of misschien ff op een ander apparaat aansluiten?

In ieder geval bemoedigend dat het bij jou wel werkt. Heb m via kickstarter gecontacteerd dus zal binnenkort wel antwoord krijgen.

Overigens direct op een synth en via de Cirklon op verschillende synths dezelfde resultaten.

Na nog wat meer aankloten en ook een keertje aan en uitzetten toch een modus gevonden waar het werkt. Als ik sensitivity op lineair zet doettie't. Heb nog niet alles doorlopen want was tegelijkertijd een beetje aan het spelen met het ding. Een aantal sensitivity modi leken het echter niet te doen. Nu wat moe dus ik kijk morgen weer verder.

Leuk ding alleen de prijs.
Drie akkoorden leren spelen op een doorsnee masterkeyboard van €80 en de rest transponeren om alle twaalf toonsoorten die er bestaan te bespelen.
Maar nu voel ik me een spelbederver voor dat bedrijf. De ledjes zijn gemultiplext aangestuurd en dat interfereert het met de opnamesnelheid
(beeldjes per sec) van de camera waardoor het heel snel flitsachtig knippert. Dat mankeert er nog aan de promo. Daarom bewaar ik nog maar een heel oude camera met een analoog opname buisje uit de voorbije jaren die strijkt dit na-ijl- effect glad.

Back