The synth is my friend!

BVMusic

Nieuwkomer
Hello, I am Maltese and I have been making music since 1998 using synthesizers.
Besides the very popular and friendly forum EMPortal, which I use regularly I also decided to add an extra forum, this one, where discussion about electronic music
and the community here is very active indeed as well.

To start with I am very curious to know, how many of you record and play instruments in realtime and then add more sounds to it before mastering the whole WAV file?
I have been fascinated reading how Vangelis used to record his music at Nemo studios Link here.

Therefore inspired by this method of composing I have myself started composing this way lately, instead of building piece by piece into the sequencer and I have found that this way of composing allows to convey through your instruments the emotions running at that moment, without losing the moment.

Two tracks in particular that I have experimented in composing with this method of composing - ' COLUMBUS' & 'RHAPSODY'

You can check them out here: https://brianvassallo.bandcamp.com/

Until then, thanks for your welcoming and later

Brian Vassallo
www.brianvassallo.com
ASCAP Artist

Hi Brian, so for me I always start with “jamming”... I like to try out chords, play tones on top of that and that is how I try to find good melodic themes and even multiple melodies on top of each other. I don’t have a background in music so I don’t have the theory to figure all this out. I do know scales and I do know chords but I use a lot of jamming (experimentation) to find specific timbres or moods. Not the most efficient way. I think a true composer just knows what to look for but for me it works and it is pleasant. Time flies when I do this. The time between 19:00 and 01:00am passes like it was only 10 minutes :D

Two tracks in particular that I have experimented in composing with this method of composing - ' COLUMBUS' & 'RHAPSODY'

You can check them out here: https://brianvassallo.bandcamp.com/

I listened to both tracks (and some older work by you) but that really is next level stuff. So I’m not able to play that well to do this “live”. I record my jams and extract the stuff where I feel I really hit a mood or developed something promising. I could never work like you do purely because I lack the musical knowledge and skill of playing ;-)

Great music. I like the bombastic developments in Columbus. Really cool stuff.

Back