Timbaland steelt beats

numtek

numtek.nl
van slashdot:

In 2000 the Finnish demoscene musician Janne Suni (also known as 'Tempest') won the Oldskool Music Competition at the Assembly demoparty with his four-channel Amiga .MOD entitled 'Acid Jazzed Evening.' A Commodore 64 musician called 'grg' remade the song on the C64 (using the infamous SID soundchip); it is this that was stolen. The producer's name is Timbaland and he is one of the hottest names in American music these days.
The track in question is called 'Do it' and it is featured on the Nelly Furtado album 'Loose' on the Geffen label. Getting nowhere with Geffen, the demoscene has now risen to the aid of Tempest, first by creating a stir at SomethingAwful (files downloadable from the forum), then at Digg.com, then on YouTube, with a video demonstrating the blatant ripoff.
Being an online-posting musician myself — what rights do I have if this should ever happen to me, and what can be done to raise awareness about such things?"

bron:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/14/0113234

links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KX7SkDe4Q
http://www.digg.com/music/Timbaland_ripped_off_a_track_from_my_buddy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2274635&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

So?

In Hiphop/RnB-land wordt toch alles bijelkaar gejat?

Origineel geplaatst door Zoidsity
So?

In Hiphop/RnB-land wordt toch alles bijelkaar gejat?

Het is ook geen probleem als er maar voor wordt betaald .
Ik had echt hemel en aarde bewogen om die gasten te laten betalen .
Weet alleen niet hoe dat zit met rechten etc met dat online releasen etc .
Maar goed .. als ze een beetje fatsoen hebben dan betalen ze die jongen royalties of ze kopen hem af .
Wel een tof nummer trouwens .

US kennende zal er wel een flink lange rachtzaak van komen..

:erm: Heb 't nummer beluisterd, maar succes met ECHT aantonen dat 't gejat is..

Lijkt me zo'n riedeltje dat makkelijk zelf na te maken is, maar dan NÈT ff anders.

Origineel geplaatst door richard2000
Hoezo, maken ze normaal gesproken de beats wel zelf dan....

Daar is Timba juist groot mee geworden, dikke beats maken die vernieuwend waren. Tim's bio, heerlijk album.

:erm: Heb 't nummer beluisterd, maar succes met ECHT aantonen dat 't gejat is..

Lijkt me zo'n riedeltje dat makkelijk zelf na te maken is, maar dan NÈT ff anders.

Dit hoort een klein kind zelfs nog ..

Die Timba moet als hij een beetje correct is die jongen gewoon afkopen .
Of 1 van zijn Ferrari's aan hem geven :)

Hoe werkt die C64 scene eigenlijk ?
Toen ik nog een pc had heb ik nog weleens wat geluisterd maar ik weet niet of er zo'n player .. mod ?? voor de Mac is .

Origineel geplaatst door dextah
Toen ik nog een pc had heb ik nog weleens wat geluisterd maar ik weet niet of er zo'n player .. mod ?? voor de Mac is .

http://www.sidmusic.org/sidplay/mac/ voor SIDjes. Verder gewoon effe de HVSC downloaden.

MODjes zijn niet C64 maar Amiga... er bestaan vast ook wel MODplayertjes voor de Mac.

Hmm, ik hoor idd wel een gelijkenis, maar het is wel een ongelofelijk standaard akkoordenprogressie...

Origineel geplaatst door Ethereal
Hmm, ik hoor idd wel een gelijkenis, maar het is wel een ongelofelijk standaard akkoordenprogressie...

Dit bedoelde ik dus ook.

Ja, maar OK, het is dus ook het 'knijpende' typisch C64 geluidje wat de verdenking inderdaad wel heul sterk maakt. Laat ik zeggen, er zijn mensen voor 'minder' veroordeeld (maar die hadden waarschijnlijk niet zo'n dure advocaat... :D)

Origineel geplaatst door dextah
offtopic : hoe werkt zo'n Sidplayer nou ?
Zijn dat samples van de Sid die hij afspeelt ?

Nee, het is een emulatie, gewoon een softsynthje eigenlijk.
Maar dan wat uitgebreider, eigenlijk wordt er gewoon een (gedeelte van de) C64 geemuleerd, waarbij het afspelen van de sequences (in standaard SID formaat) wordt ondersteund.
Er zijn diverse manieren van emulatie van de 6581 SID, de één wat natuurgetrouwer dan de andere. Vaak bestaat er ook de mogelijkheid om een op een insteekkaart gemonteerde 6581 (de zgn. HARDSID) aan te sturen.

timbaland_c64.jpg

Read all/more about it!

So?

[by tempestflt on 1/12/07
[comment buried, show commenthide comment] + 21 diggs bury this digg this
I came here to clear up some things...

Seems like many of the people writing here didn't even bother to listen closely to 'Acidjazzed Evening' (referred as AE from now on) and 'Do It' (referred is DI from now on), or are just plain tonedeaf. Maybe it would help if I'd explain what
those songs have and don't have in common. Grab your headphones, because they really help spotting the stuff
in DI that got sampled!

First: the basis of the song DI is the intro from AE. If you want to spot the similarities, then don't listen AE longer than
15 seconds, which holds 16 bars of music (no, DI is not "quoting" AE - 1-2 seconds would be quoting).
There is not a single part in DI that is not based on these 16 bars. In the chorus of DI, the sampled part is cut into
half and only the first half of it is being used, played over and over till the next verse, when the whole sample is
being played again.

AE repeats it's intro-theme at some point, but mainly it goes to another directions. If you have hard time finding the
resemblance between AE and DI, then don't listen AE for more than 15 seconds. This is crucial.

What was sampled?
For DI someone sampled the intro of GRG's C64-version of AE, but with disabling the bass-channel. The bassline was
reconstructed in DI - no, It's not "totally different" than AE's bassline as someone said. It's just a stripped down version, with octave intervals removed (fe. A2-A3 -> A2) and 2-3 notes left out.
There are 6 different chords (of which many are repeated) in AE's intro, jazzy kind of chords that for most I dont even
know their names, but I'll list them here to show that it's not a typical pop-song chord-progression (actually if someone
can find a similar chord-progression, I'll give him a beer or two):
G# C C# F | A# C# F G# | G# C# D# F | F# A# C# F | A# C D# G# | G# C D# F
Each column represents a list of notes used in each chord. It's not the actual chord-progression, but a list of the
6 chords (most popsongs have around 3-4 chords all together) used in the intro, but I think you get the point...

The chords are arpeggiated, which means that the notes in the chord are being played at the same time, but being
rapidly from lowest note to the highest and not at the same time. This is a crucial point for anyone who can
differentiate a clear note from a dog bark and because chords are not usually played like this, unless you're a
superfast heavy metal guitar player, J. C. Bach or a 80s homecomputer-soundchip with only 3 channels available.
But in mainstream pop music? No chance.

The melody? Listen to AE's intro few times and then listen to DI with headphones on. It's all there, playing in
the background. The melody that Nelly sings is kind of a variation of the melody in AE's intro, but the original
melody is also there, in the background of DI! Here's another crucial point; they didn't remove the original melody, but
only lowered down it's volume and placed another melody (which Nelly sings) on top of it. I'd call this counterpoint,
if the the people behind DI wouldn't be such hacks. If you want to verify my claim about the melody, then don't pay
much attention to what Nelly is singing (or the drums) but everything else what is there; bassline,
"background-melody" and the arpeggiated chords.

There you have it. 16 bars of music, a whole verse, which became about 4 verses in the hands of another.

I can't discuss the legal issues here. Let's just say that Big Record Companies are surely the works of The Devil.
Spread the word...

-tempest

by tempestflt 21 hours ago
[comment buried, show commenthide comment] + 8 diggs bury this digg this
I'll make one more remark and then I'm out:

"First of all you have to prove that Timbaland heard your track before he made his track. "

Acidjazzed Evening competed in Oldschool Music Compo at Assembly 2000 in Helsinki, infront of more than 4000 people (voters) and won the competition. There are good documents on this. You can of course believe that the whole event never took place, but would require heavy dose of self-deluding and not doing your research properly.

And no, I haven't given the copyrights of AE to anyone. Competing with a piece of music/graphics/whatever hardly ever involves giving up the copyright.

And for the one who talked about "similar chordprogression and bpm": did you read my post? There's 16
bars of melody aswell. Take 16 bars from any any memorable theme and see/hear what I mean...

"Why would he steal from you? He would lose credibility and cash."

You'll have to ask him. I know the whole things sounds very impropable... or does it really? Do we really know how often things like these happen? My song was easy to spot, because of the "C64ish" chipsounds I used, but what about songs that use "regular" instruments? And even if record companies pay compensation for the original composer they "borrow" from, they still might earn more from it than they lose. Loose-album has sold 2,5 million copies already and it's not just about the record sales, but also about touring, gaining loads of money by filling big arenas etc. Nelly Furtado is a product.

...and from what I see, Timbaland didn't lose cash but gained cash!

One more notice: I wouldn't recommend Gloom's video, atleast for "skeptics". He misses some key points there, uses bad set of examples - for example he even uses the later variation of the AE's intro's melody and not the actual intromelody. That's why he has to cut it off quicky, because the end of the melody is a bit different from the one that got sampled in DI. I do have to admit that the final demonstration in the video, with both songs played simultaniously, is charming =). The video might work as a good hint, but don't expect it to prove anything. Do your own research/listening. (There's a good set of mp3-examples as torrent, by some unknown individual.)

-tempest

wat een lulkoek zeg. timbaland is 1 van de grootste innovators van de laatste 20 jaar betreffende beats. zowat de hele hiphop/popwereld heeft ZIJN beats gestolen en dan krijg je een topic op het synthforum met deze titel. :D

Back